Monday

Bikram: A few tips from one yogi to another!


If you haven't tried Bikram yoga, you should!  This amazing yoga practice leaves me feeling refreshed, strong, and if you have done Bikram you know what I mean when I saw it just makes you feel CLEAN!

You sweat SO much in Bikram classes.  Even if you don't normally find yourself breaking a sweat during cardio or at the gym, you WILL be drenched at the end of this class.  Actually, you'll be drenched after the first breathing exercise in this class!

Bikram is a 90 minute series of 26 poses that you repeat 2X each.  The room must be at a minimum of 105 degrees and 38% humidity.  The heated aspect of Bikram helps your body move deeper and more safely into poses, and this allows your body to receive the full benefit of the poses.  When I first started Bikram about 4 years ago, I had no idea what to wear to a class, what to eat and drink throughout the day or after class, and how to stay hydrated during class.  I fell victim to the false advertising on energy drinks like Vitamin Water, which claimed to keep me hydrated and energized.  If I had known back then to always read nutrition labels, I would have put down the energy drinks and opted for something without dyes and refined sugars.  Here's what I would recommend for anyone new to Bikram, or anyone who is finding their performance is sluggish during class.  I am NOT a doctor or a yoga instructor, this is just what works for me and what has been recommend to me by various instructors throughout the years.

Eating before and after class:

I actually prefer not to eat before class.  If you eat a healthy and balanced diet normally, and throughout the day before class, you should have the energy required to endure throughout class.  I try not to eat for at least 90 minutes before class.  Some of the poses require you to lay on your stomach, and for me this is more comfortable on an empty stomach.  Plus after you eat, your body focuses all it's energy on digestion.  If your body is busy digesting your food, that's energy being taken away from your practice.  

After class snacks depend on what time of day it is, for me.  My favorite class is a late PM class so I can go home, shower, and collapse into bed!  In this case, I don't eat anything after class, but I will hydrate with water, or coconut water.  If the class is during the day or in the morning, I will just eat my next meal normally.  Most of my meals contain protein, carbs, veggies, and healthy fats so I feel that I'm covered.  If it's a while until lunch or dinner I'll try and have a snack that will help with recovery.  Carbs are good because they will rush nutrients into your muscle tissue quickly.  Protein is important too as it helps your muscles to recover.  Try a slice of Ezekiel bread with almond butter.  

What to drink before and after class:

Hopefully you drink water regularly and stay hydrated with other healthy beverages like coconut water or lemon water.  If you drink water regularly, there is no need to chug water before class.  In fact it's recommended by most instructors to NOT load up on water before and during class.  Keep your body hydrated throughout the day and you won't need to.  There are designated water breaks during class to re-hydrate.  Too much water before or during class can cause discomfort and fidgeting, which will distract you from practice.  After class, I recommend re-hydrating with coconut water mixed with chia seeds, or with plain water with lemon.  Plain water is fine too-drink it slowly so your body can absorb it!

What to wear to class:

I like to wear moisture wicking fabrics.  I prefer pieces with compression so that they stay close to my body and don't distract me or get weighed down with sweat.  I also like having tight fitting gear so that the instructors can see my alignment easily and help me to course correct.  I usually wear leggings or shorts and a sports bra.  Bikhram isn't a place to be shy-you will probably feel too warm if you wear a tank top or t-shirt.  Most women (and men) wear as little as possible.  The instructors encourage all students to look at themselves in the mirror and to not focus on people around them, so I never feel like people are staring at me.

What to bring with you to class: 

-Bring a yoga mat (I like the Kuale Elite Hot Hybrid mat which is a yoga mat made specifically to absorb sweat)  http://www.kulae.com/page_1982/the-elite-hot-hybrid-p1982
-Also bring a towel to cover your mat with.  Don't bring a beach towel!  Invest in a yoga towel.  It will stay put on your mat better than a bath or beach towel will, and it will more effectively wick sweat.  Most studios let you rent a mat and towel for a couple bucks if you don't want to invest in your own gear at the beginning.
-Bring a change of clothes!
-Bring a plastic bag for your sweaty clothes!

Start practicing:

Try a month unlimited for just $29 bucks @ Bikram Yoga of Greater Portland.  This is a really chill studio with friendly and knowledgable instructors and super low key regulars.  http://www.bikramyogapdx.com/?page_id=26

Namaste!

Please subscribe via email at the top of the page!


No comments:

Post a Comment