Sunday

Yummy, CLEAN, turkey, apple, and cheese melt.


This afternoon I was getting super cozy in my apartment.  I had some tea, a good book, a cozy blanket, and I wanted something warm and yummy for lunch.  When I was growing up one of my friend's mom would make us tasty sandwiches with white sandwich bread, ham, kraft cheddar cheese slices, and apples.  She would broil them in the oven until the cheese was melty and gooey.  Those sandwiches from my childhood were delicious, but I'm pretty sure the ham was loaded with funky preservatives, and I KNOW those kraft "cheddar cheese" slices were not real cheese.  Not to mention all the processed flour and other ingredients that must have been in that white sandwich bread. This is what I was craving today, only a clean version!

This sandwich is SO yummy.  It's cheesy, gooey, salty, and sweet because of the apples.  The mustard adds the perfect kick.  You can eat this warm, or wrap it in foil and take to to work/school as a healthy to-go lunch!

Here's what you'll need:  

-2 slices Ezekiel spouted grain bread-if you haven't tried it or heard about it you are missing out-get it in the freezer section of your favorite health food store.  (I get mine @ New Seasons, Whole Foods, and Fred Meyer)
-Mustard to taste. I used Trader Joes Deli Style Brown mustard.  (Not organic unfortunately but it's clean-just mustard seeds, vinegar, salt, spices, and turmeric as a natural coloring agent).
-4 slices turkey breast-ask your butcher if their turkey is nitrate, and antibiotic free!  The deli @ New Seasons has a great smoked turkey breast that IS nitrate and antibiotic free and is literally smoked in a smoker-no fake weird ingredients to worry about!
-4 slices (thinly sliced) of your favorite apple-I used organic Braeburns because they were nice and crisp!
-1/3 cup shredded white cheddar cheese.  I used Tillamook-they don't use dairy products with added growth hormones.  Beecher's flagship cheese is also super tasty on this sandwich but it is more expensive.

What you'll do:

Preheat oven to Broil.
Spread both slices of bread with as much mustard as you desire.  Arrange bread slices mustard side up, on a cookie sheet or baking stone.  Layer the turkey, apple slices, and then the grated cheese onto both bread pieces.  Broil for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.  Serve warm and enjoy!

Please subscribe via email at the top of the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment