Sunday

What to do with your bunch of Kale!

Kale is trendy.  You've probably heard of or tried kale chips,  kale smoothies, green juices with Kale...the list goes on.

Well there IS a reason kale is so popular, besides the fact that it's DELICIOUS.  This amazing leafy green is high in antioxidants like carotenoids and flavonoids which help to prevent against various forms of cancer, and Vitamin K which also can help to prevent cancer but can also aid in bone health.  Kale also is high in Omega3 fatty acids which can help to fight against asthma (which I suffer from), arthritis, and autoimmune disorders.  In addition, Kale is also high in Vitamins A and C, and calcium.  From me to you, Kale is one of my go to leafy greens for energy.  When I juice kale or eat it raw I feel energized, awake, and clear headed.

Sunday breakfast-Egg with sauteed kale with carrots and corn (buy frozen and organic!) and some Ezekiel toast.

From a culinary standpoint, Kale is versatile, in-expensive, and easy and quick to prepare.  Here are some of my favorite ways to use Kale:

-Add it to smoothies or juice it.  A great smoothie blend I like is Kale, Chia seeds, almond or coconut milk, and berries.  Try juicing it with celery for hydration, and lime and ginger.
-Cook it!  My favorite way to cook it is to saute it with olive oil, onions, and garlic.  I usually throw in a red or orange veggie for some nutritional variety, and then when those veggies are crisp tender I add the kale, and a little low-sodium chicken broth.  Kale takes only a few minutes to cook.  I eat this veggie mix in the morning with eggs, at night in veggie tacos, layered in veggie lasagna, and sometimes just with a fork because it is so dang good!
-Eat it raw in salads!  For this application you may want to either finely chop the kale or pulse it a few times in a food processor just to break the leaves down and make it a little more tender.  You can eat it with any of your favorite veggies, meats, nuts, cheeses...the options are endless.

Remember that Kale is on the Dirty Dozen of foods you should ALWAYS buy organic.  I get mine from New Seasons in Portland and it's currently on sale for 2 bunches! for $5!  One bunch of kale made me a big green juice and a big portion of sauteed veggies, easily enough for 3 meals.

Happy Kale eating/juicing!
Tasty green juice-Kale, apple, lime, and ginger!

Please subscribe via email at the top of the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment